[Board] Fwd: OSGeo CoC committee proposal

David William Bitner bitner at dbspatial.com
Fri Jul 24 11:11:33 PDT 2015

Jeff & Board members,

Thanks for feedback. A few of my thoughts with regards to the
clarifications from the Board.

I think that it is critical that the *front line* (ie those who we are
setting up to be on the receiving end of potential incidents) be a very
limited group of people. While with the structure being proposed in the
clarification allows for the ultimate decision of any enforcement to be
made by the board, it does not allow for the committee to privately collect
(and potentially anonymize) any reports. We still need to have a very small
group of people who are entrusted to be that front line. We also need to
allow for the case where a CoC committee member OR a board member may be on
the receiving end of a complaint. If we maintain a separate private
(perhaps subset or executive committee of the CoC comm) list for reporting
of incidents, then if there was ever a complaint about a CoC comm member,
someone could submit directly to the Board-priv list, while if there was a
complaint about a Board member they could submit to the CoC-priv.

Having a coc-priv list with a very limited number of people is absolutely
critical, in my opinion, to making this work whether any enforcement
decisions are made by CoC comm or the Board.

David