[Board] Open Geoscience Committee proposal

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 03:28:56 PDT 2015

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 18:41:30 +0200
Margherita Di Leo <diregola at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Board,
>
> During the last FOSS4G-EU held in Como there has been a European
> Geoscience Union (EGU) Interest Group BoF [1], that has lead to the
> proposal to establish a new Open Geoscience Committee[2] within
> OSGeo. The motivation behind this decision is the need to connect the
> growing community of scientists promoting the open science concept.
> See also the agenda that has been discussed [3].
> We kindly ask the OSGeo board to discuss and approve the
> establishment of the new committee during the next board meeting.

Hello Margherita, Peter, Board,

I am very supportive of this new committee! I think that times are
ready for strenghtening the role of open source in (geo)science, and I
am confident that this group can make significant progress in this area.

I am not sure if the Board can/should do more than approve its
establishment; in any case, I am available to answer questions and
redirect to specific people/groups in OSGeo as appropriate.

Thank you for leading this initiative!

Kind regards,

Anne
--