[Board] [OSGeo-Discuss] [Ica-osgeo-labs] The LAS format, the ASPRS, and the “LAZ clone” by ESRI

Michael Gerlek mpg at flaxen.com
Mon Mar 2 22:49:44 PST 2015

The ASPRS LAS committee has been roundly criticized in the past for not operating in an open, consensus-driven, transparent manner.

My personal feeling is that LAS - or any future lidar standard - is now too important a topic to be left to the ASPRS committee. The OGC model and the grass-roots, GeoJSON-style model both have their own pros and cons, admittedly, but at least with those two models you know where you stand.

-mpg