[Board] GIS for the United Nations and the International Community Conference

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri May 1 07:06:41 PDT 2015

Hi Sanghee,

This is great to hear and i am sure the United Nations will never endorse any particular properitory GIS vendors products etc. The UN GGIM Beijing Declaration on Sustainable Development with Geospatial Information clearly provides highlights on the importance of Openness (software, standards, data)  https://ggim.un.org/docs/meetings/3rd%20HLF/Beijing%20Declaration%2024Oct2014%20FINAL.pdf

This event  at http://www.gisfortheun.com , (though the url is  misleading as initially i thought this event was endorsed by the UN! ),  it looks like it  is a vendor initiated event (Esri) trying to reach out to the UN agencies to help indirectly promote thier properitory products in the hope that the UN will buy and use thier products :-)

I think, this discussion anyway helped us  to take proactive action to engage more proactively United Nations. It is great if we can do a special session at FOSS4G Seoul (though i thought it will be quite short notice and hence thinking ideas for FOSS4G 2016) but if you as the chair of FOSS4G 2015 wants a special session organised, i will be happy to help you oragnise this (i will help remotely though as i wont be able to attend the conference) .

Please let me know if you want to goahead with organising special session for the United Nations at FOSS4G 2015 and we can start contacting colleagues in the UN for support and participation.

Best wishes,

Suchith