[Board] Kicking off Elections 2015 process

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Mon May 25 12:32:03 PDT 2015

El 25/05/2015 18:20, "Jeff McKenna" <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>
escribió:

> Hi Board, all,
>
> I'd like to make sure we begin the OSGeo Elections process, for both
Charter members and Board members.

> I've added this to the next Board meeting agenda, but, we shouldn't/can't
wait that long to begin, so, here are some tasks:

> 1. Ask for volunteer to manage the 2015 Elections process
>
> This is for the CRO (Chief Returning Officer) position[1].  Jorge did a
great job last year, and setup an electronic voting system that will likely
be used again this year.  Do we have any volunteers for this year?

> Note that what I found worked well last year, was Jorge as CRO but having
at least 2 others CC-ed in the cro@ alias, I think it was Jachym and
myself, to follow along and help where needed.  It is a big task for one
person.

Hi,

I won't run this year for the CRO role. Last year I worked on July and
August on a reduced schedule that allowed me some time to work for this
task. This year, on the contrary, as I changed my job, I won't have that
and besides frankly, it's really consuming most of my time and energy so I
can't see myself on that duty again.

On the other hand it's my second year serving on the Board. If I run again
for the reelection I can't be the CRO anyway.

The biggest issue as a CRO is during the charter member nominations,  every
nomination takes several tasks that seed to be done to assure the nominee
is accepting, the wiki is well feeded with the supports and all.

I will volunteer as CRO "backup". As Jeff said, it's a also a very
important role, much needed because we are humans and errors happen so
having someone looking on your shoulder is really appreciated. I will help
and assist also on the voting system, it's in fact the easiest part IMO.

Actually I'm thinking that during nominations we don't need to put all the
work in just one person. Tracking the nominee, the wiki edits and all can
be shared over more than one people. Maybe we can use Trac for this? Just
taking ideas from top of my head

Later when the nomination is finished yes, just one person in charge of the
voting process is OK I think.

I remember Eli giving good advice for the process, by the way. I'd love to
hear ideas or comments on how to make this easier and reproducible.

> 3. Decide on 2015 Selection Process
> -----------------------------------
>
> To refresh everyone's memory, last year we (Board) modified the selection
process[3] for Charter members; but in my opinion we made a mistake with
the voting change of "Each candidate with more YES votes than NO votes, and
greater than 5% of voting charter members voting YES for them, will be
included as new charter members."

> What I saw was, for the first time in OSGeo history, strategic
nominations by certain projects, for relatively unknown community members;
the result was that all 64 nominations were accepted as Charter members.

> For 2015, I am proposing we make 1 change, instead of the 5% acceptance,
change that to 50% or greater voting YES.   Such as:

> ***
> Each candidate with more YES votes than NO votes, and greater than or
equal to 50% of voting charter members voting YES for them, will be
included as new charter members.
> ***

I agree with this change and share Jeff views about being a little bit more
strict on the support requested by the membership.

Cheers
Jorge