[Board] OSGeo signing certificates (discussion)

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 09:11:48 PDT 2015

Today's board meeting had the following agenda topic:

>    - discuss possibility of OSGeo software signing certificates [Anita]
>    (i.e. OSX seems to not allow installation of unsigned software by default
>    --> user needs to change configuration --> signed software would appear
>    more professional. On the QGIS mailing list, we were discussing that we
>    could have a QGIS.org certificate but since QGIS depends on so many other
>    OSGeo tools - which would also have to be signed - it might be more
>    appropriate to have an OSGeo certificate.)

Moving discussion here to the mailing list, and will make the motion
tomorrow.

As this is the OSGeo board mailing list I would like to keep the technical
details of signing to a minimum and focus on our role in supporting the
QGIS project.

We are focused on a very clear question - can OSGeo obtaining a certificate
for use by OSGeo projects. The cost appears to be nominal (one quote
<https://www.digicert.com/code-signing/> is $160/yearly).

I view this as an appropriate use of the OSGeo branding and well within
our capacity as an organization.
--
Jody Garnett