[Board] motion: OSGeo signing certificates

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Sat Oct 17 12:29:05 PDT 2015

Board Members, List Members, all -

  Today I asked Yuvi Panda, lead dev at Wikimedia Labs, a
participatory collection of open infrastructure and FOSS supporters,
what they are using for their certificate ecosystem. Here is the reply:

YuviPanda :
  we just use globalsign, which isn't ideal but oh well.
  we're waiting for lets-encrypt, and that's hopefully possible next month
  lets-encrypt is from mozilla and eff and probably saner  ( ed.
..than the FSF idea )

regarding the Free Software Foundation as an upstream Certificate Authority:

  FSF isn't a CA and I don't think they have any intention of being one