[Board] Travel expenses for FOSS4G Seoul

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Oct 19 05:38:42 PDT 2015

Hi Maxi,

Thanks for your comments.  It is good to speak of this in the open.

Regarding my travel, FOSS4G Seoul was the busiest I have ever been for
OSGeo.  That you think I could somehow do client work or work on other
things during that trip, is an absolute dream, a farce, so to speak.
You may not know that each day I was the first at the venue to set up
the OSGeo booth, and the last to leave the OSGeo booth at night (as you
know, I didn't partake in drinking festivities this trip).  To use your
reference to spare time, I had none, zero (I was even scheduled for a
meeting with the UN on the morning that I flew out, on the last Sunday).

In a sense, I turned a corner for OSGeo, in my role, for myself, and one
that is a professional one.

If one puts all the time on paper that I have given for OSGeo (in a
sense, my career), and then here I am, literally sleeping in dorms, on
floors, and in cheap shared apartments (all true, I did all that and
more as president), and here I am asking for incidentals, which to me
seems only fair.   I guess more than that, I am also asking for agreed
guidelines (we cannot point to guidelines and then when someone/me
actually tries to use them, is asked to take it publicly and is
questioned on them).

But I am sure we all have other tasks and fires to put out today, so I
will move on of course.

Talk soon,

-jeff