[Board] OSGeo signing certificates (discussion)

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Tue Oct 20 10:14:16 PDT 2015

Board Members, Stakeholders, all -

  Following a recent disussion of purchasing and deploying Digital
Certificates [0][1] through the OSGeo infrastructure, I have followed
up with a little bit of research online regarding the newly-forming
"Let's Encrypt" Certificate Authority.

======================================
Let's Encrypt Certificate Authority
======================================

Blog Site:
 https://letsencrypt.org/

"We’re pleased to announce that we’ve received cross-signatures
from IdenTrust [2], which means that our certificates are now trusted
by all major browsers. "

---
Lets Encrypt Creation Post  Nov 2014:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/11/certificate-authority-encrypt-entire-web
..
The core team working on the Let's Encrypt CA and agent software
includes James Kasten, Seth Schoen, and Peter Eckersley at EFF; Josh
Aas, Richard Barnes, Kevin Dick and Eric Rescorla at Mozilla; Alex
Halderman and James Kasten and the University of Michigan.

Peter Eckersley  EFF Chief Computer Scientist     pde AT eff.org
Seth Schoen   EFF Senior Staff Technologist      schoen AT  eff.org

  This morning I placed a phone call to Seth Schoen at EFF Offices in
San Francisco. I hope to be in contact with Seth or others shortly, to
learn more about the intended scope of Let's Encrypt Digital
Certificates, the roadmap and timeline.

[0] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2015-October/013321.html
[1] Digital Certificate
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_key_certificate

[2]  IdenTrust   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IdenTrust
IdenTrust is a bank consortium acting as a public key certificate
authority and secure applications provider whose members include over
60 of the largest banks in the world. Announced in 1999 ... Early on it
adopted a technology-neutral policy, developing standards equally
usable by multiple technology vendors. Initially located in New York
City, it is now headquartered in San Francisco.