[Board] new Sponsors page draft

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Oct 23 06:38:25 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-23 9:06 AM, Helena Mitasova wrote:
> We also need to to keep in mind our non-profit status which puts some restrictions on what we are allowed to do.
> Jeff can you point us to the application and any relevant documents that we should be aware of?

Hi Helena, All,

You are right that as a US non-profit organization we are limited in
what we can do.

The main issue that the IRS found in our non-profit application was that
we had a project sponsorship program and that this was not acceptable
for a non-profit. i.e. through the project sponsorship program, sponsors
could earmark their money for a specific project which constitutes a
"private benefit" for the sponsor and unfair competition with private
businesses, so we had to cancel the project sponsorship program in the end.

The following wiki page discusses our responses to the IRS on these
questions, and includes a list of acceptable activities that we proposed
and that ended up being accepted by the IRS since they approved our
non-profit status in the end. See also the link to the PDF of the
official response from our attorney that is linked at the top of the page.

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/501c3_Application:_Questions_from_IRS,_September_2012

HTH

Daniel
--