[Board] Report - Presentation OSGeo - LARS 2016 - Chili, March 28, April 3d

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 12:20:59 PDT 2016

Thank you for taking on this trip, it sounds like it was a very full
schedule.

It is an interesting challenge doing open source activity at both the
ground roots level (if you can find developers) and at high level (with the
government and university contacts you met).

It can be hard to enter into partnership - as even though we present OSGeo
as a volunteer organization it can be hard for potential partners to
understand what that means. I like your approach capitalizing on their
interest in translating materials to Spanish as that both provides benefit
and education in how to be successful in community participation.

Another approach for outreach with national contacts is encouraging the
development of their own local GIS industry built up around open source
solutions. Admittedly that goes better if you can find a mix of technical
and business/government contacts to meet with.

Thanks again for the long trip ad advocacy on our behalf.
--
Jody Garnett