[Board] [OSGeo-Conf] Conference Committee Guidelines

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 02:48:43 PST 2016

OSGeo board,

I suspect you'll get a minimal response to a call for membership policies.

The reasons are relatively subtle. Volunteers step up to scratch an itch
if they feel there is a need. If such policies are not in place yet,
then communities probably don't feel the need for them.

Having the board direct communities to produce documents, in a
command-and-control type request is typically not how open source
communities work effectively.

I think you will find OSGeo communities work effectively, whether their
processes are written down or not.

If you haven't already read it, I suggest having a look at The Cathedral
and the Bazaar, by Eric Raymond. In particular, this chapter:

http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s11.html

I suggest that leading by example and amplifying initiatives of others
will be more effective for you than leading by directing. It will help
you as a board be more effective during your term in office.

Warm regards, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254