[Board] [Marketing] Reframe of the discussion: Mandate and Budget request Marketing Committee

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Thu Dec 15 19:23:48 PST 2016

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 12:19 AM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> think we have a cart before horse here - I would not expect a breakdown of
> costs until there are quotes to work against?
>
> To arrive at this number in the last marketing
> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Meeting_2016-11-25> meeting Jeff
> went through some examples he had negotiated for prior projects. Jeff and
> Marc were also comparing the price in their respective neighbourhoods for
> this kind of work.
>
> From the notes:
> - marketing plan
> - branding guide
> - website templates (cms, wiki, sphinx, etc...)
> - help migrating the content
> - collateral for exhibit packs

I fully agree with Jody's first sentence.
But I also think that an estimated budget of 70.000 USD is totally
realistic ... if your neighborhood is where the board members live or
people involved in this discussion.

The point is, that 150 USD is maybe the hourly wage for a developer in
North America or Europe, but it can be an average monthly salary elsewhere.
I thought OSGeo is a global community, so why not ask local chapters to ask
in their local communities, if someone or a group of people would be
interested to work on this continuously and make a living out of it?
Companies outsource work like website development to places, where
development costs are lower, but OSGeo doesn't need to "outsource" to
unknown subcontractors. We just need to ask to the communities, if someone
would be interested and get paid for it. There is no reason that this needs
to be done in North America or Europe.

I would find it bad to pay a rather large amount of money in one year
(only), then maybe having not enough budget the next years to maintain the
site.
There is nothing worse than a one-times investment and then let the website
get outdated over years. If we start with too high costs, the maintenance
costs will probably remain high as well.

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan