[Board] Java, FOSS and OSGeo Live

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu May 5 09:01:41 PDT 2016

GeoServer 2.9 (two weeks away) will support Java 8 - with OpenJDK and
OracleJDK tested by build machines (woot!).

So if OSGeoLive wants to migrate to OpenJDK GeoServer at least will be
ready - it will take some time for applications like uDig to make the
switch.

As mentioned previously to the board - I am hoping to  work with
LocationTech to make a replacement for the JAI java plugin (which uses the
sun binary license). If we can get that funded, then our Java stack will
finally all be open source. If you know any interested parties I would love
to hear from them. We will need to do fund raising both for the replacement
(which still needs a name) and to migrate our OSGeo applications.

If you have contacts at Apache or Debian who would be interested in
donating resources to either of those initiatives it would be amazing!

For background on the challenge
https://github.com/geotools/geotools/wiki/Replace-JAI

--
Jody Garnett