[Board] FOSS4G 2018 Draft Request for Proposals document for comment

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 02:20:50 PDT 2016

I am never quite sure if I should respond to these emails, since if I was
passionate about this I would be *on* the conference committee.

Notes:
- There seems to be a mix of "must have" and "nice to have" activities
under "OSGeo Community events and activity". Items such as BOFs, Map
Gallery are examples of activities but I do not think they are required.
Facilities for an Board meeting can probably also be removed (this year we
met at a restaurant for example).
- It also seems a bit demanding to ask for an "exhibit space close to the
catering" - it is nice enough we are being provided with booth space?

- I would love to change the ordering, and perceived importance of "Your
reasons for hosting the conference, and your goals for FOSS4G." to start
out with "How will your conference promote open source geospatial software".

- We may be suffering a cultural gap on "inclusivity" - in North America we
are really focused on gender balance (which is even worse in open source
than in the rest of computing). Not that the other aspects of diversity are
not considered important of course.

- It would also be great to have listed what the proposal team has for a
"reasons for hosting the conference" - I know for the sydney team one of
the motivations was to shock the local entrenched mapping culture with a
different perspective.

- The item on "How will your conference succeed financially" could be moved
down to the section on budget.

- Airfare and accommodation expenses may be considered as evaluation
criteria items under "Cost for attendees".

Thanks for leading the charge Steven (and by extension the conference
committee).

--
Jody Garnett