[Board] travel grant discussion

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 00:02:06 PDT 2017

Think we better keep it separate. We will end up with different acceptance
criteria.

For example we expect code sprints to set up budget for their event (so
OSGeo is just part of a larger story). We also expect to take a risk on the
event, and use any profits to help fund the next event.

For travel grants, we are focused on a specific issue (helping those who
could not otherwise attend). The event is already occurring, we are not
sharing risk (or profit). Instead we are looking to assist, in part to meet
our foundation goal of being an inclusive organization. So I expect a
different funding model will be needed. OSGeo board could set up a travel
grant fund and match sponsor donations.
On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 11:51 PM Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:

> Thanks Jody!
>
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 7:25 AM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> As noted in last weeks meeting, we have an action to move travel grant
>> discussion to email. The motivation is to build on the work done at FOSS4G
>> 2015 <http://2015.foss4g.org/attending/travel-grants/>, FOSS4G 2016
>> <http://2016.foss4g.org/news-entry/foss4g-travel-grant-programme-results.html>
>> and a few local
>> <http://gisuser.com/2015/01/event-tip-foss4gna-conference-travel-grants/>
>> events.
>>
>> I would like to propose:
>> - A format, similar to code sprints, where any OSGeo event can apply for
>> funds to run a travel grants
>>

> ​Would it be easier to just make clear that OSGeo support can also be used
> for travel grants? Then events would only have to apply once and we would
> only need one money pot?
> Or is it more important to see exactly how much we're investing in travel
> grants?
>
> Best wishes
> Anita

Jody Garnett