[Board] UN Open GIS Initiative -Short Report after the Brindisi meeting

Maria Antonia Brovelli maria.brovelli at polimi.it
Wed May 3 12:52:37 PDT 2017

Dear All

below a short report about the main outcomes of the meeting I attended on behalf of OSGeo.

Best regards,

Maria

Meeting at United Nations Global Service Centre - Brindisi, Italy, 27-28 April 2017

The meeting was organized in two days and included

  *   the combined demonstration and field test of the Modular Command Centre and mini Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) based Rapid Geospatial Solution
  *   the presentation  (and discussion) of the UN Open GIS project to UN, Member States, other international organisations and academia [1]

Main elements of interest by OSGeo UN Committee and GeoForAll:

  *   Spiral 1 (WG1): the UN Open GIS Initiative GeoPortal. The Platform is based on Geoshape-Exchange, developed by Boundless and supported by US DoD.
  *   Spiral 2 (WG2): capacity building for UN staff members on open source geospatial technologies. The initiative is supported by volunteer activity of OSGeo and GeoForAll members. QGIS (concluded) and PostGIS (in progress) have been taught by using as educational platform that of Politecnico di Milano.
  *   Spiral 3 (WG3): geospatial analysis. More than 140 new geospatial functions for Web and Desktop available at [2]. Those pieces of software were made avaialable by OpenGDS  (South Korea). Educational material will be provided soon. The original material is available in Korean. It will be translated in English but some help in cleaning it by English native speakers is more than welcome.
  *   Spiral 4 (WG4): tools for data collection. The Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) based Rapid Geospatial Solution is part of the WG activities and the software will be available soon. The development is part of the activity of OpenGDS (South Korea). Some South Korean companies are contributing to the development; among them Gaia3D, Inc.
  *   I discussed with  Kyoung-Soo Eom and Ki-Joune Li (the two chairs of UN Open GIS Initiative) the document “Resourcing Open Source Geospatial Training for the United Nations” [3]. The theme of sustainability is very relevant to UN Open GIS initiative (and more in general to UN). We agreed to organize a first exploratory Skype or hangout meeting, together with Cameron Shorter  (who promoted this initiative) to discuss the document before  presenting it to the next UN Open GIS Initiative VTC.
I recall you that the UN Open GIS Initiative VTC meeting is scheduled the second Wednesday of every month at 1 pm UTC. People interested can attend. Just let me know in such a way that I communicate your interest to the chairs.

[1] https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3dBcNKACjRlcDZTa0JsNUlab0U/view?usp=sharing
[2] https://github.com/MapPlus/spatial_statistics_for_geotools_udig
[3] https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Di-WxImfPq5oF2jeBblxNjY0JYJoXegLc5jaTPjufM/edit#heading=h.g1mf7fn4rfea

Pay attention to this Special Issue and see if it is of interest by you:

http://www.mdpi.com/journal/ijgi/special_issues/Geospatial_Big_Data_Urban_Studies

Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)" http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.html, Board of Directors of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET Advisory Board

UN-GGIM Italy, UN-GGIM Academic Network Task Team, UN OpenGIS Initiative (Chair of the Capacity Building WG)

Sol Katz Award 2015

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)
Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  <mailto:maria.brovelli at polimi.it> maria.brovelli at polimi.it