[Board] Action: Delawen, Jody and Angelous to coordinate direct email campaign to project officers and set up wiki pages for 2018 budget

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 21:19:36 PST 2017

Going to assemble what we have to work with in an email thread and we can
sort out how to approach this.

Our list of officers is here:
http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/board_and_officers.html

The officers are our point of contact for committees (that includes both
osgeo committees and project steering committees).

With that in mind here is a rough communication strategy:

1.  Emailing the officers directly (as they are our point of contact). The
idea being the officer can can take budget ideas to their respective email
lists, or just forward our email to their list.

2. If we do not hear back by mid week we should reach out to any committee
members we know (including board members) in order to send a budget
reminder.

3. By the end of the week we can send a budget reminder on the discussion
list. Perhaps listing committees that we have been unable to contact.

For this to work it will help to have a couple of wiki pages ready to go:

* A wiki page for the 2018 draft budget
* An example of a budget request

We should also be prepared for officer questions on how to spend money; we
had some success with our 2017 budget reaching more teams; and that success
will hopefully drum up interest.

The key point to communicate is that we trust our committees. Budget is
available to help, but it will be up to them to do the work.

We have several quick examples to use.
- SAC has been able to set up short term contracts for maintenance.
- The Marketing committee took on a short term mandate to do the website,
running a full expression of interest process to choose a vendor.
-  One common request is for code-sprint budget, we have a
code-sprint-guidelines <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines> for
teams to consider
- GeoServer as a well documented sprint application, and fundraising
campain, with

Tips:
- If the team as a fundraising campaign of any sort sponsors donations can
count-towards a total used to list them on our sponsors page.
- A common theme is that OSGeo does not often outright pay for an activity,
the team will need to some legwork and fundraising on their own and OSGeo
is there to help out.
- The flip side is that for events OSGeo is often happy to take on any
financial loss (because we do not want to break our volunteers with stress)
- There is a conflict policy, it pretty much amounts to not paying decision
makers.
- We also want to take care of expenses (or offer to) of anyone
representing OSGeo in an official capacity (such as with our partners)
- We have to manage expectations with respect to the website/reboot 55k
budget (if it helps that amounts to 10k a year)
- Budget is just a budget; actually spending the money requires a team to
get organized. OSGeo has a track record of approving $70k budgets and then
having our volunteers only spending 35k.
- A budget is just a budget, it is a tool for planning and communication.
If an emergency comes up the board is still able to help. Infrastructure
and legal are good examples of emergencies.

But only break out the above examples if you have to, the key message is
that we trust each committee and would like to help.
--
Jody Garnett