[Board] Motion: use GSoC student mobility grant at FOSDEM geospatial devroom

Michael Smith michael.smith.erdc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 08:19:11 PST 2017

If its just 1 then its really no problem.

Mike

--

Michael Smith

OSGeo Foundation Treasurer

treasurer at osgeo.org

From: Margherita Di Leo <diregola at gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 10:06 AM
To: Michael Smith <michael.smith.erdc at gmail.com>
Cc: Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>, osgeo-board List <board at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: Re: [Board] Motion: use GSoC student mobility grant at FOSDEM geospatial devroom

Mike,

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Michael Smith <michael.smith.erdc at gmail.com> wrote:

For a limit of how many total grants?

It would be 1 grant for 1 student

I see its already been added to the board meeting agenda, that’s good.

One thing that was a problem at FOSS4G2017 was trying to provide funding for multiple students, many wanted cash, which, while problematic, was doable at foss4g. I won’t be at FOSDEM to do this. Is it possible for OSGeo to fund the housing at FOSDEM directly for however many? Something to consider.

We can just set the conditions for reimbursement beforehand and they have to accept them.

Thanks,

Mike

On 11/8/17, 9:36 AM, "Board on behalf of Jeff McKenna" <board-bounces at lists.osgeo.org on behalf of jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:

    Madi has clarified that this 500 USD is for 1 student's travel.  -jeff

    On 2017-11-08 9:38 AM, Margherita Di Leo wrote:
    > Dear OSGeo Board,
    >
    > I would like to propose a motion to be discussed at your earliest
    > convenience. I'm not sure how to do that, I assume I can write it in
    > this mailing list?
    > This is my proposal.
    > In the payment issued by Google for GSoC 2017, they accounted 500 USD as
    > a grant for GSoC students mobility. This money should be used as a
    > travel grant for GSoC students that would like to present their work to
    > conferences.
    > I would like to propose that OSGeo use this money for the geospatioal
    > devroom at FOSDEM 2018 [1,2,3]. Why FOSDEM? Because for several years I
    > tried to invite GSoC students to present, they replied that they could
    > consider it only if there was a sort of economical aid. FOSDEM is a free
    > event and the amount of $500 should decently cover accommodation and
    > travel at least within Europe, but would make it also possible to join
    > from outside Europe with a small addition from their own pocket.
    > Please let me know should you need any additional information /
    > clarification.
    > Thank you in advance
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > [1] https://fosdem.org/2018/