[Board] Opportunity: American Geophysical Union: Implementation of FAIR principles -> MOU by AGU and OSGeo ?

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Wed Nov 8 20:15:49 PST 2017

Peter, Board,

I agree that AGU would be an important partner - there are always several open source related sessions at AGU fall meetings,
Vasek is presenting at one of them this year (I did couple presentations in past years as well):

Session: IN51B: Challenges and Benefits of Open-Source Software and Open Data I
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/meetingapp.cgi/Session/23607 <https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/meetingapp.cgi/Session/23607>

IN51B-0015 Tools for open geospatial science
Vaclav Petras1, Anna Petrasova2 and Helena Mitasova1, (1)North Carolina State University, Department of Marine, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences, Raleigh, NC, United States, (2)North Carolina State University Raleigh, Raleigh, NC, United States
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/266005 <https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/266005>

Peter so definitely bring up OSGeo at the FAIR meeting - if people from that meeting will be at AGU Fall meeting (I assume
that some of them will), Vasek can continue the discussion there.

Jeff it would be great to draft the MoU after we can see some interest from AGU or their
Earth and Space Sciences Informatics (ESSI) Focus Group - we need to indentify who to talk to first and how they want
the MoU focused.

The current status of MoUs is here (I tried to keep your wiki-based system, feel free to improve)
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MOU_OSGeo_All <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MOU_OSGeo_All>

The active MoUs are also on the website as
http://osgeo.getinteractive.nl/partners/ <http://osgeo.getinteractive.nl/partners/>

There is also MoU with URISA being discussed (initiated by Jeffrey Johnson)

Helena

> On Nov 8, 2017, at 8:34 AM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I agree that this relationship with the AGU is very important for the OSGeo community - I have seen the great work that you, Madi, Helli, Markus, Maxi, and others do promoting OSGeo to the EGU scientific community.  Would you be willing to attend the next OSGeo Board meeting on IRC on the 21st November[1] to discuss the possible next steps with the OSGeo Board?  I can help you draft the MoU, but let's bring this to the entire Board for a discussion first and plan the steps together (if the Board decides to move forward with the relationship).
>
> [1] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2017&month=11&day=21&hour=14&min=0&sec=0%2017.00UTC
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2017-11-08 5:07 AM, "Peter Löwe" wrote:
>> Dear Board, (cc: OpengeoScience Committee)
>> I can inform you about an interesting opportunity for OSGeo.
>> AGU (www.agu.org, representing 60.000 geoscientists globally) is currently preparing a project to implement the FAIR-principles (Findable|Accessible|Interoperable|Reusable) for their science divisions and early career scientists. In this context, I'm attending the projects kickoff-meeting next week.
>> The current focus of AGU is to apply FAIR to all kinds of research data which is used and published.
>> According to the project stakeholders at AGU, they want to create a critical mass of all stakeholders providing input how to advance the implememntaion of FAIR.
>> It can be argued that software, including the OSgeo projects, is also a kind of data. We know from the annual general meetings of AGU and its twin organisation EGU (European Geoscience Union), that software tools from OSGeo projects are workhorses for science conducted by AGU/EGU members.
>> OSGeo has been reaching out to EGU/AGU already: The Open Geoscience Committee has been organising annual townhall meetings at the EGU gernal assemblies for over four years, OSGeo BOF-meetings have been organised during earlier AGU general assemblies.
>> While I have not been invited to the upcoming meeting because of being a OSgeo charter member, I believe this is a good opportunity to make our voice heard and put us officially on the map (IMHO FAIR is fully compatible with the OSGeo paradigm) and to argue for a MOU with AGU.
>> Feedback from the board would be appreciated, whether this approach is in the interest of OSGeo. If so, more advice on how to push for / prepare a MOU would be great (-> latest MOU with  DOI )
>> Best,
>> Peter

Helena Mitasova
Professor at the Department of Marine,