[Board] november 21 meeting prep / my Open words to topic "Discussion about Officer positions (President, Vice-Presidents, Secretary)"

Michael Terner mgt at appgeo.com
Fri Nov 24 06:46:27 PST 2017

As a new Charter Member, I would like to add a *big +1 to Till's
observations*. Indeed, it was somewhat surprising to have the sitting
President not re-elected, however, I would also assume that it was accurate
and purposeful based on the perspective of the Charter Member who voted.
And, as one of those voters, placing my first vote, it would be somewhat
disheartening to have it seem that those votes were undermined by an
unprecedented (but allowable) maneuver by the Board. As Till relays, this
has nothing to do with the people involved *per se,* as a great many of us
have huge respect for the contributions made by anyone who sits on the
Board or acts as President. Rather, this is about the optics of how the
leadership is chosen, and what role the Charter Members have in that
process.

I look forward to hearing how this discussion went during the Board's F2F
meeting on Tuesday as I did not see this topic mentioned in the meeting
minutes <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2017-11-21> (although I
may have missed it).

Thanks...

MT

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 10:16 AM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Understood Till, we are setting up f2f meeting in todays meeting to
> address this and other topics.
>
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 21 November 2017 at 06:10, Till Adams <till.adams at fossgis.de> wrote:
>
>> Dear board,
>>
>> based on past (perhaps unintentially open) emails and on short
>> discussions on your todays meeting topic "Discussion about Officer
>> positions (President, Vice-Presidents, Secretary)", I'd like to publish
>> my thoughts on this topic.
>>
>> While I acknowledge that it is constitutionally allowable to appoint
>> someone external to the board as OSGeo President, it would break with
>> OSGeo tradition. I'd suggest that it would also be contrary to the
>> wishes of the majority of OSGeo charter members (based on the last board
>> election). I think, especially in times, where lots of discussions came
>> up, there is a need for a strong President of OSgeo, and strong is to
>> me, that the president needs strong support of the majority of the
>> comunity.
>>
>> There are excellent candidates for the OSGeo president position within
>> the currently elected board. It is my hope that the OSGeo President is
>> selected from one of the currently serving board members.
>>
>> !!! This by no means reflects upon the people involved (especially
>> Venka), whom I hold in high regard, but rather is focused on the
>> integrity of our processes.
>>
>> Cheers, Till

Michael Terner
*Executive Vice President *
Direct: *617-447-2468 *
Main: *617-447-2400*

www.AppGeo.com <http://www.appgeo.com/>

--
This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally
privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise