[Board] UN Committee 2018 Budget

Maria Antonia Brovelli maria.brovelli at polimi.it
Sat Nov 25 08:53:17 PST 2017

Dear Board,

On behalf of the UN Committee, I wish to submit the budget for 2018 for your consideration.

The main project in which the Committee has been committed in 2017 is the UN Open GIS Initiative. It was presented in FOSS4G Events (FOSS4G Europe (invited speech), FOSS4G Italy (invited speech) and FOSS4G International (presentation)) and also introduced in occasions of other events (ISPRS, UN-GGIM), giving visibility to the role played by OSGeo in the Capacity Building Working Group.
A summary about the Capacity Building activities can be found in the Proceedings of FOSS4G Europe Academic Track [1]
In 2018 we wish primarily to go ahead with the UN Open GIS Initiative.
What we propose:
To strengthen the relationships between WG Capacity Building (chaired by OSGeo/GeoForAll and UN) and the WGs providing respectively the platform (Geoshape [2], [3]) and new added functionalities suitable for the UN operation field [4], we want to organize two Capacity Building Initiatives.
They will provide training (tutorial and hands-on practice) for the platform and the geospatial functionalities respectively. UN Committee will make an open call for proposals and a Commission, composed by volunteer members of the Committee, will evaluate the candidates. The application is limited to young people (less than 35) and evaluation criteria will be based on overall excellence of the submitted proposal.
The members of the Commission will mentor the winners in their activity (with an approach similar to that of Google Summer of Code).
The outputs will be available as OSGeo open products. Besides being meant for the UN Open GIS Initiative, they can be, obviously, of general interest.
The total budget for the two Initiatives is 5500 USD (2500 USD for the platform; 3000 USD for the new functionalities).
We wish also to propose a new project, which is of general interest but specifically thought for developing countries and UN SDGs. It consists in Capacity Building on managing global open geospatial data (satellites data, land cover data, OpenStreetMap, UN data) with OSGeo products. The availability of open geospatial datasets is a great richness for developing countries, where generally they are not available at higher resolution or detail, but sometimes there are limitations in their usage due to the lack of capacity in treating these new products. The Initiative wants to fill this gap. It will provide training (tutorial and hands-on practice) with the same modality of the other two proposed initiatives (call, application, commission, mentors).
The budget for this Initiative is 3000 USD.
Moreover, we will go ahead with the general activities related to UN Open GIS and we need budget for attending the workshops (generally 3/4 a year). The budget requested for this (travelling, visa, accommodation, meals) is 3500 USD.
Concluding, the total budget asked by the UN Committee is 12000 USD.
Many thanks to everybody who contributed and best wishes,
Maria (on behalf of UN OSGeo Committee)

[1] https://www.int-arch-photogramm-remote-sens-spatial-inf-sci.net/XLII-4-W2/11/2017/
[2] https://exchange-un.boundlessgeo.io/account/login/?next=/
[3] https://github.com/boundlessgeo/exchange
[4] https://github.com/mapplus/spatial_statistics_for_geotools_udig

Pay attention to this Special Issue and see if it is of interest by you:

http://www.mdpi.com/journal/ijgi/special_issues/Geospatial_Big_Data_Urban_Studies

Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/4 "Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)" http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.html, Board of Directors of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET Advisory Board

UN-GGIM Academic Network Deputy Chair, UN-GGIM Italy, UN OpenGIS Initiative (Chair of the Capacity Building WG)

Sol Katz Award 2015

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)
Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  <mailto:maria.brovelli at polimi.it> maria.brovelli at polimi.it