[Board] so how do osgeo trademarks work?

Ben Caradoc-Davies ben at transient.nz
Wed Oct 11 14:06:54 PDT 2017

I found the Debian trademark policy interesting:
https://www.debian.org/trademark

The policy outlines permitted uses, uses that are not permitted without
permission, and the process for obtaining permission. This was useful
when responding to a question from a service provider who wished to use
the Debian trademark in the name of the service; I could not answer
their question but I could refer them to that page and contact.

OSGeo Live is an example of a product that uses the OSGeo brand. Are
distributors of customised ISO images like the upcoming one for INSPIRE
permitted to use the OSGeo trademark and call their ISO image some
variation of "OSGeo Live"? Does this require permission? [Not copying
the Live-demo list at this stage because the purpose of my question is a
rhetorical one about OSGeo trademark policy.]

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben at transient.nz>
Director