[Board] OSGeo applying to join GEO as PO

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Feb 1 07:17:01 PST 2018

Thanks Jody. There are different ways [1] to engage with GEO but I think the best framework for OSGeo is applying as a PO so we can start ideas for strong outreach of open source geospatial  in GEO.

It is no good to have just a logo added. I suggest that we proactively promote open source geo at all levels through all available networks and proactively linking with GEO, UN GGIM etc is important . I am not aware of any specific strategy for open source . I think it is important  that OSGeo Board and community uses all opportunities to promote open source geospatial esp on ideas supporting the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction.

It will  also help OSGeo community to engage more ideas with GEO  Work Programme ideas [2]  .

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1]  https://www.earthobservations.org/contribute.php
[2] https://www.earthobservations.org/geoss_wp.php