[Board] GCI 2017: A big thank you for the hard work!

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 01:16:07 PST 2018

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 2:13 AM, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Jody, a blog post would be a good forum for such a "press release".
>
> I can help with reviewing the post, if someone who has been involved in
> GSOC can write a first draft. The post can be relatively short, maybe just
> a couple of paragraphs.
>
> What I think should be covered:
>
> * Google has donated $$$ to OSGeo

Please note that this "donation" should be seen in the broader context of
our participation in Google Code-in this year. And our participation in
Google code-in is possible because we, as organization, have successfully
participated in Google Summer of Code for 11 years (and applying for 12th
time now). As Helmut noted, this has been possible only thanks to the hard
work of our pool of mentors / admins volunteering their time. OSGeo has
graduated 180 students in total through the GSoC program, not counting the
growing number of pre-university students participating in the still
on-going code-in. So, IMHO, if anything should be posted in a blog, should
definitely include these facts before than anything else. Taking this
"donation" out of its context doesn't make any sense.

Kind regards,

--
Margherita Di Leo