[Board] separate discussion on the value of video archiving

María Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 22:50:31 PDT 2018

I can't agree more. I used a lot of videos and tutorials when I was
starting in GIS and I still use them a lot after all this years. Can I
survive now without this material? Probably... But for newcomers they are
gold.

In fact, I would propose to have some kind of p2p service for this kind of
materials, so we can have distributed mirrors, maybe by topic, and make
sure we never lost them. Even with the agreement you mention that gives us
a centralised point to store them, a community backup is never too much :)
That will lower their burden too, if some other (University? Company?
Individual?) wants to mirror.

I asked about Foss4g Barcelona videos and they were lost mostly due to not
having a centralised/clear point to upload them at that time. That's a
shame and we shouldn't let it happen again.

I also only work on tutorials in the scope of my company going to foss4g or
my company creating training materials. Maybe we can work on giving more
credit to content owners to see if more content is created?

Btw, great geoserver tutorials, I always use them as example :p