[Board] Travis-CI & OSGeo

michael terner ternergeo at gmail.com
Tue May 1 08:58:50 PDT 2018

At the risk of chiming in as a non-developer, I'd observe that I'm not sure
that Maria's final question ("will Jenkins be enough") accurately
summarizes what I hear as the core take home of this thread. Rather, I
think there is a legitimate difference of opinion on:

   1. Should all OSGeo projects use the same platform (whether it be
   Jenkins, or Travis, or other tooling)?
   2. Or, should projects be free to use the tools that work best from
   their points-of-view, and in light of the history of those projects?
   3. And, there's a subtext of what is "more important", having the
   "purity" of more open solutions; or the practicality of getting work done
   with tools that the people involved with projects may be familiar with, or
   simply prefer?

And of course, the overarching question is *what should OSGeo do about it?*

   - Should there be a policy about what tools projects may be *required *to
   use?
   - Should OSGeo setup an open platform, that it supervises and makes
   available (on a voluntary basis) to projects?
   - Should projects be allowed to spend project money on commercial tools
   (i.e., if they include those expenses in their budgets; and even if some of
   those moneys come from sources like OSGeo)?

I think these bigger issues are the most important part of this thread, and
from my reading there is not yet a clear consensus. This seems like an
important issue (and policy; and direction statement) for OSGeo/the Board
to address.

Count me squarely in the "practicality is important" camp. Indeed, to me
producing great, open source software is the end goal. And the people that
manage those projects should have a large say in what tools are best for
them; as well as the freedom to spend money on those tools when appropriate
(and with OSGeo's support). Indeed, there is no such thing as open source
purity (well, maybe Stallman approaches that?), as significant parts of the
software development ecosystem ranging from hardware to internet access are
paid for commercially.

MT

Michael Terner
ternergeo at gmail.com