[Board] Proposal to start a "OSGeo Businesses" mail list

Steven Feldman shfeldman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 04:15:29 PDT 2018

Hi Board

At FOSS4G I had several conversations with some of you that lead to the idea to start an OSGeo Businesses list:

Maria Brovelli has identified two potential opportunities for our business members
The sponsor breakfast identified a desire on the part of sponsors to access Open Source Geo business opportunities
We have long discussed how we might present a more united presence in the market for geo products and services (OSGeo Europe is an initiative with similar objectives)

I propose that we create a list for the circulation of potential opportunities and for discussions on collaborations and joint initiatives amongst our sponsor and contributor companies:
There does not appear to be a list that covers this interest group
I expect this to be a fairly low traffic list but it would provide OSGeo with a means to communicate with commercial members and sponsors and provide some additional value to them
Based on advice from Jody and Jeff, I believe the list should be by invitation only and should/could be (at least initially moderated) - I’d welcome further thoughts on that
Suggested membership criteria - feedback welcome
Companies sponsoring OSGeo in the last year (should their be a minus level of sponsorship? National, regional or global?)
Companies designated as contributors by one of the OSGeo PSC’s (and identified on the web site?)
I hope that Jody can provide a list for the initial invitations to be sent
I am willing to act as the initial moderator/admin of the list and I will aim to recruit a second admin as soon as possible

Thoughts?

Asante
______
Steven