[Board] following up with conference committee chat

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 08:43:52 PDT 2019

I had a chance to talk with our conference committee:

   - Proposing adoption of "live" code of conduct rather than maintaining
   our own. We can put forward a motion to use
   http://berlincodeofconduct.org/ next board meeting.
   - Steps to take following a code of conduct incident

For item two the I think the code of conduct committee has done all they
can; contacting the individual and then asking our president to contact his
direct supervisor. Sadly the supervisor was dismissive of our concerns and
our president.

I believe the next step this is to take this to the department head, or to
the university board.

I am proposing writing a formal letter in my role as chair of the osgeo
board to the university board in question expressing our embarrassment in
the behaviour of their student, and failure of their supervisor. We will
have to set up our blacklist, we can include our letter next to the
students name. If the university offers us an appology, or if the student
offers an appology later in his professional career we can list those also.

The student and supervisor are not members of our organization, it appears
we have limited contact with them through the UN Initiative. We can share
this letter with the appropriate UN chair as that organization is also
having trouble of conduct of its members.

Frankly folks attending our events are our guests. We are very clear with
our code of conduct with respect to expected behaviour. I am completely
fine with OSGeo providing professional consequences to in appropriate
behaviour. When attending a professional conference you do so not only as
yourself but as a representative of your department and organization.

There is a language barrier and we will need to ask for our letter to be
translated.
--
Jody Garnett