[Board] QGIS UserConf 2019. Financial support request. Estimated budget attached

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 12:40:50 PST 2019

The java for the clarifications could, if you are available I would like to
request you attend the January board meeting.

As indicated we are in an awkward spot because 2019 budget not yet set. Is
it possible to give you answer in February when we are more organized with
a budget? Or is it important to act now ...

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 12:34 PM Luigi Pirelli <luipir at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jody
>
> I'm answering inline
>
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 00:50, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Looks great! We are currently setting our budget for 2019
>> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019> so we cannot respond
>> right away.
>>
>> Reading to see what form of financial support are you looking for:
>> Looking at the attachment it is a request for 4.000€. Since QGIS and
>> OSGeo are listed separately than sponsors probably as a host of the event.
>> - We tend to like hosting events (some financial risk but a chance to
>> support earlier) rather than sponsorship (we do not need to compete for
>> visibility with sponsors who are working with limited marketing budgets) ...
>>

> I agree, we just started sponsorship campaign.
> https://twitter.com/Ginetto/status/1082565867945238528
>

>> - Is this support you are asking for from OSGeo directly, or is it to be
>> part of the budget request from the QGIS team?
>>

> We are asking to OSGEO and QGIS too. we set the same amounts as in the
> Nødebo user conference. Usually QGIS cover some costs related to developer
> hosts and some dinners.
>

>> - the board is thinking of having an event budget (draft 10k) to support
>> events such as this, perhaps we should increase the amount?
>>

> IMHO yes, the rationale is that we decided to leave the registration fee
> as low as possible. In this case the financial risks are higher. An higher
> budget can support events where the community decided for a low financial
> barrier.
>

>> - Are you looking for just a transfer of funds or are you looking at
>> osgeo taking on some financial risk (which is handy if sponsorship does not
>> come through)
>>

> I'm personally +0, but discussing in the organizing committee we decided
> to prefer a transfer. The rationale is to have enough margin without
> risking our personal finances other than our voluntary work.
> The person in charge of the financial aspects is Carmen Diez (in CC). She
> already managed other Spanish events like GeoCamps. The bank account will
> be that of the QGIS Spanish Associacion [1] that will be used to receive
> registrations fee, sponsorships, and from which all the costs will be payed.
>
> Let us know what is the OSGEO position
>
> regards
>
> Luigi Pirelli on behalf of the organisation committee
>
> [1] www.qgis.es - in CC Carlos Lopez Quintanilla, the president of the
> association

Jody Garnett