[Board] EOI - formation of Oceania regional chapter

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 05:54:47 PDT 2019

Hi OSGeo Board,

We'd like to submit an expression of interest to formalise a regional
chapter of OSGeo in the Oceania region. We want to call it OSGeo Oceania,
and it would supersede the existing Aust-NZ chapter (we've consulted widely
and this course of action is favoured by the community).

Following on the success of the first FOSS4G SotM Oceania in November 2018,
we decided to form a legal entity so we could more fully manage the affairs
of an ongoing conference series, and foster the ongoing growth of our
regional open geospatial community. We've consulted with the community via
OSGeo mailing lists, and we appear to have strong support, considerable
engagement, and no dissent.

We already have wide participation from across Oceania. Last year's
conference in Australia drew 250 attendees from Australia, New Zealand,
Fiji, Samoa, PNG, and Timor-Leste (and 8 other countries outside the
region), helped in part by a successful Travel Grant Program. This year,
we're holding the conference in New Zealand, we're doubling the size of the
Travel Grant Program, and one of our keynote speakers is from a Pacific
Island nation. We hope this sends a clear signal to the community that
we're looking for participation from the entire region.

Please see the OSGeo Oceania wiki page <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Oceania>
[1] for details on our terms of reference, initial membership, our mission,
and a section on how the community can get involved. Suggestions welcome :)

It would be great to have confirmation of support from the OSGeo board at
its earliest convenience. If we can provide any further information, please
let us know.

Thanks!
John
on behalf of OSGeo Oceania