[Board] Donate button

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Jul 18 09:24:00 PDT 2019

Seems the ticket stalled with no clear decision on which plugin to use
to get the desired functionality.

Do we have any numbers on previous amounts collected via website
donation? Just want to make sure it's more than the cost of the
suggested plugin.

FYI the cost is auto-updates, support and in some cases add-on support
for features we may want.

So it does appear we could install and configure without subscribing, in
order to test on our dev site.

Thanks,
Alex
OSGeo Sys Admin Committee

On 7/11/19 4:05 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Here is the ticket: https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2056
> --
> Jody Garnett
>

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 11:13, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We have an open ticket for a donate button in trac - and have had so for
>> quite some time.
>>
>> However I am of two minds after watching a presentation “please sell
>> something” by Piero from open drone map about the value of a donate
>> button.
>>
>> Software by donation kind of gives the wrong impression about the value of
>> open source software.
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 12:05 AM María Arias de Reyna <delawen at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Answering a question to info at osgeo I realized we don't have one big
>>> obvious button to donate to OSGeo on our website. And also, half of the
>>> buttons to donate to the TGP don't work.
>>>
>>> I am not sure if we have a simple link or if it is a PayPal thing that
>>> makes a dynamic button that breaks if you try to copy the link. Does anyone
>>> know how to fix it? It would be good to have some kind of short url to send
>>> when people ask about donations.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> María.