[Board] mapfish project status

Till Adams till.adams at fossgis.de
Wed Nov 20 00:48:40 PST 2019

Dear Jody,

I am also little surprised about the movememtns in the mapfish project,
for me it looks little like a "take over" of the "old" Mapfish-project.
Wehen Mapfish applied for incubation (around 2009/2010), I was voted
into the PSC and I accompanied MapFish through this process. To be
honest, since our incubation not much happened in PSC.

On the Github "https://github.com/mapfish/mapfish/wiki/Community_PSC", I
am still listed as a PSC-member, I never stepped back and AFAIK I was
not asked to migrate the project into a new one. So, still, this
mapfish-project is for me the incubated project and it seems, that
nothing happens any more here.

In general I wonder, that projects once they are incubated, never get a
check towards license/code again, even if they move on a completely new
platform and code-base. This may open the door to exactly, what we want
to prevent: That projects get hijacked by one single company.

Loking on the new github pages
(http://github.com/camptocamp/c2cgeoportal), there is no PSC listed at all.

I would suggest to invite the new geomapfish project to become an
OSGeo-community project and, I agree with Primin, the (old) Mapfish
should be retired.

Just my 2 Cents,

Till