[Board] mapfish project status

María Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 06:24:07 PST 2019

Thank you for this insight Emmanuel. It clarifies a lot (at least to me).

Projects evolve and mature, that's a natural process.Developers come
and go and the PSC should be renewed too if a person gets too
disconnected from the project. We have seen this happening on other
projects, it is no surprise. And although it is hard to let go a
project you consider your own, it is something we all should do at
some point.

If current PSC wants to get involved again with the project, that's a
good option. If current members of the PSC think they are no longer
connected with the newer developments, I think it makes sense to renew
the PSC with active people and check again the status of the project.
Maybe even go through incubation again, to make sure we didn't lose
anything on this process? We can look at this as a new project, if
that could make things easier. Most of the check points should be
completed already.

If OSGeo Board is shaking the tree to check if we should remove (or
not) some projects is just because we have been lacking a proper
follow up on projects. So projects that didn't make an explicit effort
to reach OSGeo kind of felt into oblivion. A lesson we have learned:
we have to be more proactive asking for feedback to make sure projects
don't die or "evolve too far from us".This evolution could have been
followed up by the Board making the transition inside OSGeo smoother.
Not sure if that's possible at this stage? I have been never very
close to Mapfish community to comment on something only the community
can tell.

Cheers!
María.