[Board] OSGeo / OGC collaboration update

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 08:30:44 PST 2020

Hi Scott: comments interleaved below.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 9:12 PM Scott Simmons <ssimmons at ogc.org> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Happy New Year to you as well!
>
> I have provided some commentary inline, below.
>
> Best Regards,
> Scott
>
> > On Jan 16, 2020, at 7:47 AM, Tom Kralidis <tomkralidis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Adding a subject (sorry!)
> >
> > On Thu, 16 Jan 2020, Tom Kralidis wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 14:45:46 +0000 (UTC)
> >> From: Tom Kralidis <tomkralidis at gmail.com>
> >> To: ssimmons at ogc.org
> >> Cc: board at lists.osgeo.org
> >> Hi Scott: hope all is well.  Happy New Year and all the best for 2020!
> >>
> >> Following up from our OSGeo / OGC discussion in August 2019 (see
> >> notes/minutes in [1], some areas of interest we can move forward on collaboratively:
> >>
> >> 1. OSGeo code sprint in Athens [2]
> >>
> >> As discussed in a separate thread it would be great to have OGC at the event.
> >> We have communicated the event to the OGC API - Records SWG which could be a
> >> suitable sprint during that time.  Angelos, Stephan (Meissl), myself and others
> >> will continue to work with you/OGC to realize OGC presence in Athens in May.
> >> We are also discussing having an OGC API presentation at the sprint by someone
> >> from OGC.
> >>
> >> Cross pollination between OGC and OSGeo sprints would IMO result in
> >> significant advances to both OGC standards development as well as OSGeo
> >> adoption of same.
>
> I really like this idea and we are quickly working through the logistics from the OGC side. We also have interest in one other Sprint or Hackathon for OGC API in 2020 and my discussion on that topic with sponsors will be at the end of next week. We could steer the joint effort with OSGeo toward Records and have another topic for the other sprint.

In another thread Stephan (Meissl) discussed having an OGC API -
Coverages co-located in Athens.

What is OGC's Hackathon/Sprint schedule for 2020?  We could find
additional opportunities also.

> >> 2. CITE teamengine OSGeo project incubation
> >>
> >> CITE is a very important part of many OSGeo projects.  It would be valuable to
> >> have someone from the CITE / teamengine project in support of completing
> >> incubation to become an official OSGeo project, as well as potentially working
> >> with OSGeo projects on sprinting OGC Compliance as required.
>
> Good idea - we’ll look at CITE representatives (or other OGC staff) schedules.

This would be great.

> >> 3. OSGeo voting status
> >>
> >> We briefly discussed OSGeo having a vote as part of our membership.  Any thoughts
> >> on this possibility?
>
> Let’s connect this topic to that of the MOU.

OK.  Once we (OSGeo) review/analyze the current MOU we will provide
feedback as the first
step.

..Tom