[Board] W3C Web mapping workshop, Montreal June 15-17

Rushforth, Peter (NRCan/RNCan) peter.rushforth at canada.ca
Thu Jan 23 12:49:59 PST 2020

Hi,

My name is Peter Rushforth, and I'm with the Canada Centre for Mapping and Earth Observation, at Natural Resources Canada.  We are in the planning stage of a workshop on maps in the Web platform (HTML), together with the W3C and the OGC.  The workshop will be collocated with the OGC TC meeting, June 15-17 2020 in Montreal, Quebec.

I am sending this email to see if OSGEO might be interested in being invited to participate (by presenting a short position paper, in person) in this workshop on the concept of better integrating mapping into the Web platform standards, and if so, how.

The objective of the workshop will be to start a conversation between the geospatial (and geospatial standards) community, and the Web platform community, about how Web standards could better serve the needs of Web mapping and users of Web maps.

Some of the topics of potential interest include:

  *   a native map viewer, similar to that provided for video content
  *   standards for how such a map widget might integrate with map services and APIs
  *   Integration / relationship of maps and location with other browser APIs, e.g. geo-video, geolocation API, forms, SVG
  *   crawling, indexing and searching map information
  *   standardized browser elements and APIs
  *   CSS styling of maps and map features
  *   Map feature creation / input forms
  *   federated map services with linking
  *   accessibility of browser maps
  *   privacy of user location information
  *   security of browser-based maps

But mostly, it will be driven by position papers, and what organizations like your own want to discuss.  We plan on inviting individual projects from the geospatial and Web platform communities as well, but if you have questions I am happy to try to answer on list or off.

Cheers, and thanks
Peter

Peter Rushforth

Technology Advisor
Canada Centre for Mapping and Earth Observation
Natural Resources Canada / Government of Canada
peter.rushforth at canada.ca<mailto:peter.rushforth at canada.ca> / Tel: 613-759-7915

Conseiller technique
Centre canadien de cartographie et d'observation de la Terre
Ressources naturelles Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
peter.rushforth at canada.ca<mailto:peter.rushforth at canada.ca> / Tél: 613-759-7915