[Board] GeoChiapas project and TPrize Challenge

osaka_ali at protonmail.ch osaka_ali at protonmail.ch
Thu Mar 19 16:08:58 PDT 2020

Greetings to all from Mexico,

Recently, MIT, The Technological Institute of Monterrey and the University of the Andes have co-sponsored a request for proposals for education, training and innovation projects in Latin America through MIT's SOLVE initiative. The challenge submission deadline is March 31st; judging closes on the 24th of April. More info about the challenge  can be found in [1].

My solution's working title is Geo-Chiapas [2], and basically consists of creating a workshop series that teaches fundamental geospatial concepts to economically vulnerable and socially disadvantaged youths in this Mexican state. I have begun conversations with some local NGO's and academic institutions regarding the possibility of partnering to offer the workshop series.

At this stage, the workshop's form would be decidedly 'low-tech' although we are considering the approximately week-long process to culminate in use of something like geoforage.io [3] to introduce geodesign concepts into the learning modules as well.

After a recent conversation with Vicky Vergara, I was encouraged to reach out to the OSGeo board to seek some guidance on the GeoChiapas project. I'd like to formally solicit a person to be part of the project's team as well as the TPrize submission team in the role of "advisor" .

The person preferably needs to have:
- Experience in education
- Geospatial training
- Knowledge of the Latin American region's social and economical problems

Vicky expressed interest in being that person, but she also mentioned making a formal request to the OSGeo board.

I am grateful for the consideration of my appeal and I look forward to answering any questions that you may have.

Sincerely,

Arturo Moreno
San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexíco
Cell +52 (967) 152-77-18

[1] https://solve.mit.edu/challenges/TPrize
[2] https://solve.mit.edu/challenges/TPrize/solutions/17836
[3] https://www.geoforage.io/