[Board] platform applications to the osgeo community program

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 07:52:11 PDT 2021

Angelos:

I was thinking on this more and it may just be my bias as a software
developer. There is an advantage to users of a platform being able to
review the code responsible for the service they are using. But this
represents new ground for OSGeo, hence the discussion.

Bruce had some additional discussion points on the incubation list for this
topic:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/incubator/2021-July/004391.html

In any case this discussion seems to go into policy and is thus a matter
for the board to consider.

Jody

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 4:09 AM Angelos Tzotsos via Board <
board at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> This is an interesting challenge.
>
> I think an additional requirement to be able to fully deploy the
> framework/portal on another instance would be valuable.
>
> Best,
> Angelos
>

> On 7/14/21 2:19 AM, Jody Garnett via Board wrote:
>
> Here is an interesting challenge for OSGeo to consider:
>
> We have had a couple of platforms apply to join the OSGeo community
> program. As a software foundation - is there anything we should be doing
> here?
>
> The most recent application is https://giscollective.com/ (with code athttps://gitlab.com/GISCollective ). As far as I know this is not a topic
> that other software foundations have dealt with explicitly (but I may just
> not have heard of it).
>
> Notes:
> - The previous applicant of this nature was GC2/Vidi (https://www.osgeo.org/projects/gc2-vidi/) which was asked to present
> themselves as a software framework (but this was not a perfect fit).
> - You can also look historically to projects such as GeoNode and GeoNetwork
> which are designed to be forked / copied and customized (and use an open
> source license as a way to enable or encourage the practice).
> - Checking our website we do have a category for portal (https://www.osgeo.org/choose-a-project/information-technology/portal/) but
> I think this was a case of the cart leading the horse. We were trying to
> categorize software that was already in our foundation.
> - I would expect a key requirement (and the reason we ask that a platform
> be recast as a framework) is to ensure that a second service (or website)
> can be created with the provided source code. Consider the difference
> between mapstory.org and GeoNode for example.
> --
> Jody Garnett

> Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
> President