[Board] offer of support to OSGeo from GeoForAll Iberoamerica

Rajat Shinde rajatshinde2303 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 10:54:47 PDT 2022

Dear Sergio,

Thank you for your email. In addition to the contest budget, we also had
discussion regarding the other issues in the last board meeting
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2022-04-25#GeoLIBERO_clarifications>.
We feel that the following steps could be beneficial for the collaborative
participation of the Ibero-American section (as you mentioned some of them
are OSGeo Charter Members) and the rest of the OSGeo.

   - If it is possible to form a local chapter for carrying out the
   initiatives in the section and if it does not exist already, then it is
   much welcomed. A local chapter would streamline the process for
   face-to-face meetings and also provide outreach to the amazing initiatives
   and contests. Moreover, the local chapters can present the updates of all
   the events and activities during the annual general meeting (AGM) planned
   during the FOSS4G conferences.
   - It would be great to spread awareness about these events and contests
   using the OSGeo Announcements or News
   <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/News_Queue> or Discuss lists. In general, a
   news item is posted on OSGeo website and on Twitter via the official OSGeo
   account, thus reaching out to the global FOSS4G and OSGeo community and
   contributors.
   - Also, some of these events align with the existing projects and
   initiatives, it would be great to join hands and collaborate. One such
   initiative is Google Summer of Code (for eg.) where new contributors can
   participate and the project members can mentor them. Unfortunately, GSoC
   timeline has also progressed for this year but it might be a great idea to
   include some coding initiatives for the upcoming years. Another such
   initiative is the United Nations OSGeo Educational Challenge
   <https://www.osgeo.org/foundation-news/2021-osgeo-un-committee-educational-challenge/>
where
   the GeoLIBERO project could participate with an educational challenge.

Additionally, if you have any further suggestions then we cordially request
to share it with the Board and we will try our best to act on them.
Finally, heartiest congratulations for the success of the GeoLIBERO
project, it is really commendable work even during the pandemic and
strengthens the GeoForAll initiative.

Thank you for your efforts!
Kind regards,
Rajat

--

Rajat Shinde

Vice President - Board of Directors <https://www.osgeo.org/about/board/>

Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo).

http://home.iitb.ac.in/~rajatshinde