[Board] Fwd: Oceania TGP Application

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 00:01:27 PDT 2022

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Fwd: Oceania TGP Application
Date: 	Mon, 24 Oct 2022 12:13:49 +1100
From: 	Alex Leith <alexgleith at gmail.com>
To: 	Angelos Tzotsos <gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com>

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Alex Leith <alexgleith at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 at 08:24
Subject: Oceania TGP Application
To: conference <conference_dev at lists.osgeo.org>
Cc: OSgeo - Oceania <oceania at lists.osgeo.org>

Hi Folks

For the first time The Pacific GIS and Remote Sensing Council (PGRSC),
OSGeo Oceania and HOT OSM are collaborating to present the 2022 GIS users
conference in Oceania. The conference series has been running in Fiji for
about 20 years and is the largest GIS and RS Conference in the Pacific,
with content covering applications of FOSS and open data. This year will be
enriched with additional formal integration into the FOSS4G community,
combining the annual FOSS4G and SoTM Oceania event with the PGRSC
conference. Thus, a new conference name will be used to represent this new
venture: "The Pacific Geospatial Conference''.

The Pacific Geospatial Conference will be held from 28th November to 2nd
December at the University of the South Pacific in Suva, Fiji and the theme
will be “Digital Platforms, GIS and Remote Sensing to anticipate and manage
impacts of Global Warming.”

Following the success of our Travel Grant Program (TGP) in 2018 and 2019,
OSGeo Oceania is offering a TGP for the 2022 Pacific Geospatial Conference,
aimed at enabling attendance for people who are disadvantaged by economic
circumstances and/or geography. Oceania is a vast region, with a highly
distributed population, a large proportion of which is in small,
lesser-developed countries. Travelling to Fiji could be difficult and
expensive, even for local communities in the most remote areas of the
country, and visas are also costly.

There is a strong need in this region for this type of program, and there
are clear economic and social benefits of spreading open geospatial
knowledge to those who stand to gain the most. The TGP’s goal is increasing
the diversity, accessibility, and reach of the conference. We want to
support worthy recipients who are interested in gaining in-depth insight
into development and application of open-source geospatial software and are
committed to making an impact in their home country, given the opportunity
provided.

To support this program, we are requesting support from the OSGeo Travel
Grant Fund in the amount of USD$3,500.

We are pleased to confirm we are prepared to more than match OSGeo's
contribution with our own funds. OSGeo Oceania has already approved a cash
contribution of AUD$5000 (approximately USD$3500) and we also hope that
OSGeo's contribution will act as a 'seed' for other funders, such as NGOs
and government grants.

There is more information available in this document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DYf-nTKN1NI5kAOlZHuLX1hQ750W_b_1/edit#
(also attached as a PDF for posterity).

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,