[Board] Mailing lists interface

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Sep 7 11:58:45 PDT 2022

I’m not familiar with the benefits of Mailman 3 over Mailman 2.

There has been recent discussion about the difficulty some people have with using mailing lists.

Many people seem to prefer a forum like system over a mailing list system.  One suggestion that gained much applause in this regard is discourse which many FOSS systems seem to prefer over mailing lists.  Only issue with it is the ease to bridge the gap between our mailing lists and discourse.

Discourse does seem like it can work as both a forum and a mailing list type setup:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/start-a-new-topic-via-email/62977

Is it okay to stratify discussion like this, given that the mailing list system works for many, but we could garner a bigger crowd with discourse?

Some FOSS systems that were mentioned using discourse

https://community.opendronemap.org/

https://forum.orfeo-toolbox.org/

https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/