[Board] Proposal: Research Organisation Registry entry for OSGeo

Peter Löwe peter.loewe at gmx.de
Tue Sep 13 07:41:53 PDT 2022

Hello Board,

here's a proposal about persistent identifiers (PID).
OSGeo already uses PIDs such as DOI (for publications (e.g. https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-XLVIII-4-W1-2022-1-2022, 2022), data, software repos (e.g. https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/DOI#DOI_for_OSGeo_Projects) and video (e.g. https://doi.org/10.5446/s_1233)) and ORCID (for persons, e.g. https://orcid.org/0000-0003-3161-5561).

Recently, a new kind of PID has been created to identify research organisations, the Research Organisation Registry.

I want to propose that the OSGeo Foundation gets registered in the Research Organisation Registry.

One benefit is that OSGeo can be officially referred to in proposals for scientific research funding from agencies such as NSF or european counterparts. This will make it easier to request money for OSGeo related research (wich will lead to more and better OSGeo code).

The process is straightforward and well documented. No costs involved.

Details here:
https://ror.readme.io/docs
Application form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdJYaMTCwS7muuTa-B_CnAtCSkKzt19lkirAKG4u7umH9Nosg/viewform

If necessary I will gladly volunteer to support the Board in getting a ROR entry.

By the way, this is the ROR entry for ESRI: https://ror.org/0428exr50

Kind regards,
Peter

<peter.loewe at gmx.de>