[Board] OSGeo Sponsorship Request for Pista ng Mapa (Festival of Maps) 2023 Conference on November 21-23 (Philippines)

Ben Hur Pintor hi at bnhr.xyz
Tue Sep 26 14:40:31 PDT 2023

Dear OSGeo Board,

My name is Ben Hur—a longtime FOSS4G user/advocate from the Philippines and
a recent addition (2022) to the list of Charter Members (
https://www.osgeo.org/member/ben-hur-pintor/).

For the past five years, I've co-organized the *Pista ng Mapa (Festival of
Maps) *conference here in my country (https://pistangmapa.org/2019/,
https://www.osgeo.org/events/pista-ng-mapa/,
https://www.osgeo.org/events/pista-ng-mapa-2021-philippines-online/,
https://www.osgeo.org/events/pista-ng-mapa-state-of-the-map-asia-2022/).

*PISTA NG MAPA*
Pista ng Mapa is the pioneer and premier free (as to cost and as in
freedom) open mapping and open geospatial conference in the Philippines. It
is 100% volunteer-driven—made by and for our local open mapping and open
geospatial communities—and traces its roots back to past FOSS4G Philippines
events (since 2012), Maptime Diliman meetups (since 2015), and local
OpenStreetMap activities (since late 2000s).

*PISTA NG MAPA 2023*
This year, we will be having the Pista ng Mapa on November 21-23 (
https://www.osgeo.org/events/pista-ng-mapa-2023/). This iteration of the
conference holds *special significance as it coincides with the 10th
anniversary of the devastating Super Typhoon Yolanda*—more commonly known
internationally as Super Typhoon Haiyan and one of the most powerful
typhoons in human history—which resulted in the loss of thousands of lives
and caused millions of damage to properties.* At that time, open mapping
and open geospatial tools played a crucial role in facilitating
rescue/relief operations* and since then, open geospatial and FOSS4G
applications have become more commonly used in disaster risk reduction and
management (DRRM) as well as climate action activities.

This year's Pista is an opportunity for the local, regional, and
international communities to come together, look back, share, and explore
the importance of open geospatial data and tools especially in the context
of disasters and climate change. As part of this commemoration, *we are
holding the Pista in one of the cities most affected by ST Haiyan back in
2013—the beautiful city of Tacloban* (
https://www.facebook.com/PistaNgMapaPH/videos/982702652968904/).

*SPONSORSHIP INVITATION*
As a 100% free and volunteer-driven conference, Pista ng Mapa is made
possible by the support of our partners and sponsors. As such, on behalf of
the conference organizing committee, I would like to extend an invitation
for OSGeo to support and sponsor this year's Pista ng Mapa. You can find a
sponsorship letter addressed to the Board at this link (
https://drive.proton.me/urls/VM51DT6Z3R#GGqzvCKhQ6Ex) where you will see
more detailed information about the conference and our sponsorship options.

In general, we are expecting to have 100-150 participants and the venue
will be at the Summit Hotel Tacloban. The sponsorship will be used to cover
the cost of the participants' meals during the conference, the venue,
support for volunteers and presenters, as well as conference SWAGs and
freebies. We are also amenable if you would like to support a specific
activity. For example, we've had sponsors in the past request that the
funds be used to support travel grantees and conference scholars.

The minimum budget we've allocated for the conference is USD12,000 and
we've already secured USD5,000 from sponsors as well awaiting confirmation
from others. We'd be honored to have OSGeo as a Co-Presenter (USD 5,000),
Major Sponsor (USD 4,000), or Minor Sponsor (USD 3,000) of Pista ng Mapa
2023.

Lastly, I would love to share about OSGeo during the conference via a
presentation or giving out OSGeo-related materials. In the case of the
latter, I'd appreciate it if you can point me to materials such as stickers
and brochures that I can print. T-shirts and other SWAGs will also be great.

I'd be happy to answer any questions and clarifications that you may have
and share with you the details of our budget in case it's needed.

Thank you and I look forward to your reply.

All the best from the Philippines,
Ben Hur
---
*Ben Hur Pintor*
mastodon.social/@benhur07b
Founder and Proprietor, *bnhr.xyz <https://fb.com/bnhr.xyz>* |
*BNHR: openness. data. geospatial.*
<https://mastodon.social/@benhur07b>
Co-founder and CTO, *civicliteraci.es* <http://civicliteraci.es> | *Civic
Literacy Initiative: the interface to unlocking civic organisations'
potential*
Co-founder and CTO, *smartct.org <https://smartct.org> *| *SmartCT: making
smart cities open*