[OSGeo-Boston] Switching From ArcIMS to "something else"

Saul Farber sjf8 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 16:54:14 EST 2007

Actually, MassGIS has done a pretty good job of using FOSS in a 'hybrid'
way and the use of geoserver with ArcSDE is fairly well supported.

My take on how to 'web-enable' an ArcSDE based storage would be
something like this:

1)  Install GeoServer
2)  Install the GeoServer ArcSDE support
3)  Pick which layers you want to serve and create 'featuretypes' for
them in GeoServer
4)  Create styles for each featuretype (perhaps using udig's SLD editor)
5)  Apply the styles to the featuretypes
6)  Go use the built-in openlayers 'demo client' to see your data.
7) (optional) hit 'save source...' on your demo client page and start
hacking!

--saul