[OSGeo-Boston] Announcement: OSGeo Boston July meet-up

Zhu, Huaining (EEA) Huaining.Zhu at state.ma.us
Fri Jul 23 10:44:07 EDT 2010

We will have our July meeting at Harvard University Tuesday 6-8PM 7/27/10. Here is the confirmed location for our meeting.

Room confirmed: CGIS Knafel, 3rd Floor, Rm. K354
1737 Cambridge St., Cambridge, MA 02138

It is fairly easy to get Harvard by the Red line subway. Parking is also available around campus or on streets. For Harvard campus parking information, please see:
http://www.uos.harvard.edu/transportation/parking/visitor_parking.shtml

I will order pizza and soda for us.

This time our focus will be on OpenLayers. We are very lucky to have Mr. Saul Farber from PeopleGIS and Mr. David Zwarg from Azavea to share with us their experience with OpenLayers.  Attached herewith please find their bio and the abstract of their presentations.

Please let me know if you have any question and hope to see you there.

Huaining

Mr. Saul Farber is the Director of Technology for PeopleGIS -- Providing web-based products and services that leverage investments in GIS to enable municipal decision making with user-focused subscription software.

Topic:  OpenLayers: An Overview of the Javascript Web Mapping Toolkit

Abstract:  OpenLayers is a web mapping toolkit implemented in Javascript.  It is similar in some ways to the Google Maps API, the Yahoo Maps API and the ESRI ArcGIS Javascript API, but differs in its focus and specific implementation.  This 30 minute presentation will show a few OpenLayers demonstrations, cover the basics of "make a map with OpenLayers" but also touch on some of the lesser known features of OpenLayers such as WFS transactions, client-side styling and data paging strategies.  Brief mention of the GeoEXT toolkit will be made.

Mr. David Zwarg is a Software Developer at Azavea (formerly Avencia). His career projects have included distributed streaming media management, optical design, systems integration, and data visualization.  As a GIS software developer for Azavea, he designs and deploys geospatial applications in C#, Java, and JavaScript.  Mr. Zwarg also has experience developing applications in open source Linux environments with Perl, PHP, and Python.

Topic: Advanced OpenLayers: Performance and Extensions

Abstract: OpenLayers is a great general javascript web mapping toolkit. What happens when you, the OpenLayers user, want to take your OpenLayers application to the next level?  We will discuss custom builds, browser limitations, and strategies.  For the OpenLayers ninja, we will talk about how to extend OpenLayers and how to contribute code to the project.