[California] AGU reinforcements from TX

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Oct 14 21:16:47 EDT 2011

Robert,

You may note that the AGU is listed on our prosed events (California
Chapter wiki page) for the last several years. However since none of our
regular table team goes to AGU with any regularity it just hasn't
happened. I'll also note that Tyler was invited to talk at AGU several
years ago and there are usually a few FOSS sessions.

I'd be happy to encourage people to do it, will provide the CA Chapter
Exhibition kit. But someone more in involved with AGU needs to be the
lead on it. That means getting all the paperwork in order, bringing up
the funding question to the OSGeo Marketing Committee/Board, and
organizing people on the ground.

FYI, several OSGeo regulars (not necessarily from CA) go the conference
but would rather attend talks than do a booth.

Thanks,
Alex

On 10/14/2011 10:33 AM, maplabs at light42.com wrote:
> Everyone, please meet Robert Hollingsworth from Texas  (an aspiring OSGeo Chapter in its own right)
>
> ----- Forwarded message from "reholl at kartanica.com"  -----
>
> Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 13:30:12 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "reholl at kartanica.com"
> Subject: Re: TIGER Geocoder in PostGIS 2.0
> To: maplabs at light42.com
>
> Brian,
> Sure, I'll look at it and put in my two cents worth.
>
> Also, have you ever heard of the American Geophysical Union?  They have what appears to be a huge conference in San Francisco around Dec 5-9 or something, and I've been thinking there  ought to be some kind of OSGeo presence there to spread the word.  That kind of scientific community would be good to have in our camp.  I researched a bit, and maybe OSGeo could exhibit there as a non-profit for a relatively low cost.  I really kind of doubt any financial support could be obtained from OSGeo these days, but maybe some of the west coast 'OSGeoids' might want to pick up the tab for that?  I've considered footing the bill for exhibiting OSGeo at something here this month, the TX GIS Forum.  I'll probably end up not doing it.  I've speculated about trying to get something rolling on this AGU thing and kicking in $ to help.  But still not sure, given the travel expense, and I'm kind of conferenced-out after all the things in Denver plus other stuff I've been to this year.  Do you
 think anyone out there might be interested in this thing in SF?