[California] Help With Our New Web Site

Yanes, Mateo@DWR Mateo.Yanes at water.ca.gov
Wed Feb 10 15:07:01 PST 2016

Hi Landon,

What would be highly beneficial is a page on GIS open source tools/systems that members use and maybe some comments on them (I’m thinking more of a resource list by different categories).  This would be a huge help for government agencies.  We currently use little to no open source and are in the process of coming up with an open source strategy within our group.  If I can point to a page like that then this would be helpful in moving towards using some open source tools/systems within State government.  I cannot offer any guarantees, but it is something of serious consideration.  It would be great to see some GIS desktop open source alternatives as well as open source on the server for developing web services for both desktop and web maps.  Recommendations from users who use these technologies in their everyday use is also very helpful because we all know brochures tell you everything works the best possible, but real world use is much more valuable.

Another thing to consider for agencies in the State, IT shops want technical support.  I’ve been told this is a big selling point.  So, if an open source tool/system also has a company that can be used for supporting the product/technology then this is a big plus.  If a program crashes or doesn’t work as expected and there is someone to call for technical support then this is something IT will look at favorably because they don’t want to be on the hook for something they may not be too familiar with (it is a selling point for non-open source software as well but in that case the source company is normally closely coupled with the software they sell so support may be built-in with maintenance fees, etc.).

All the best,
Mateo

--
Mateo Yanes
GIS Senior Programmer Developer, Enterprise GIS Services Office