[RNFdev] Looking for postal code lat/lng's

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Oct 17 13:18:04 EDT 2006

I will try to make this short.

1. I encourage you to look through the (short) history of this mailing
list to learn about our progres..

2. If you are looking for an open source approach to this data that is
what we are trying to do here using a piece of software found here
(http://www.pagcgeo.org/roadmap.html)

If you're looking for  a U.S Context read through the docs cause I think
this is possible if you are using tiger data. This works for ZIP codes.

Here in Canada postal data is tied pretty tight. The software above can
your with the required data, but the data must be purchased (currently)
through Canada Post.

The RNF discussion group is a community approach to creating the base
data required for geoprocessing Canadian addresses. Currently focused on
the FSA (eg K2J).

If you have mailing addresses the CLI allows the user to select
appropriate road segments. But postal code data is lacking (again review
the history of this list).

We are looking for volunteers to help out.

Does that help at all?

In addition if you are not worried about copyright violations there are
many online tools that use the proprietary data mentioned above. But
that will legaly restrict you to personal use (if that) of the data.
That's no fun.

Cheers