FW: [Carto] Anybody there?

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Mon Apr 26 13:12:36 EDT 2010

This week I'm working on code for a Java parser of the MRI file. I hope
to have a first release of MOEJ out by the first of June. This first
release should be able to convert a WKT file into SVG. That doesn't
sound like a lot, but I will be using the information in the MRI file to
produce the SVG output. It should be a good demonstration that "program
neutral" cartographic output that can be shared among the OSGeo projects
is possible.

The next steps:

-          Figure out how to export an MRI file form OpenJUMP.

-          Start porting my Java code to Python code for an OSGeo labs
project?

-          Add support for additional MRI elements, like legends, logos,
captions, symbols.

-          Add support for additional vector formats (maybe EPS is a
good choice).

I'm not sure if other projects are going to start work with the file
we've hammered out so far, but I hope to have code that parses the MRI
file soon. I'll release the code in an open source library, possibly as
part of Geotools. I'll have to see what the Geotool's programmers think.

Landon

Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268

Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658