[cat-interop] Metadata link types vocabulary proposal

Jeroen Ticheler jeroen.ticheler at geocat.net
Wed Mar 5 09:49:50 PST 2014

Hi Stephen and Richard,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that name recognition is a good thing. However, I feel that choosing for a domain/name that is not related to proprietary nor to open source software is a good thing.

Within GeoNetwork opensource we've been developing metadata profile support in the form of plugins for several year now. Because these profiles are hosted on our GeoNetwork github, outsiders using other software for metadata management are less likely to use and contribute to those profile plugins. This is a pity, because only a small part of the plugin is GeoNetwork specific while most is generic and often developed by a community of practice (e.g. a country or region, a community of marine or soil experts). Hence we want to move the profiles outside of the GeoNetwork opensource projects so we attract a larger expert community.

The idea is that under metadata101.org these profiles are developed and maintained by the profile custodians. Doing so has many benefits:
- Custodians manage versions better than software developers from a specific software.
- Interaction between metadata experts dealing with profiles can lead to more interoperable profiles.
- Transformations between profiles can be developed in a consistent manner between expert groups.
- Software developers of different applications that depend on supporting metadata profiles in their software need not to care about the specifics of a profile that much. They have a single point of reference for the schemas and the schematron rules that come with such profile.
- Software developers can ensure end users have the option to select the metadata profile of interest to them instead of hardcoding profiles into the software.
- End users and developers have an easier task in finding relevant & existing profiles. Now these are spread all over the place. And hardly anytime they can be found in a collaborative environment like github. So contributing or discussing them is difficult right now.
- It becomes easy for new communities to add their own metadata profile that can then automatically become available in their software of choice.

There are for sure more reasons why it is useful to maintain metadata profiles in an independent location.

Since vocabularies are so closely related to the metadata profiles that often use them, it seems a fairly logical thing to me to maintain those in the same location. And as I said, not relating it to a specific software project or to an open source (or proprietary) foundation makes it easier for both worlds to participate in the development, maintenance and use of these vocabularies.

I hope this makes sense to you. Cheers,
Jeroen
GeoCat introduces Bridge©
An extension to ArcGIS© to instantly publish data and metadata on GeoServer and GeoNetwork.
See http://geocat.net for more details.

Jeroen Ticheler
GeoCat bv
Veenderweg 13